Saturday, December 13, 2008
Money Saving Tips for the Holidays
There are many things we all can do to save money for the holidays. Some are just common sense and some you may have heard before. Here are a few.
1. Recycle old Christmas cards. They can be cut in half and uses as post cards which will save the cost of the post card and the postage. The cards can also be cut up and used as gift tags.
2. Ornaments that have lost their hooks or tops can still be used in displays in a bowl or tall vase for a festive look.
3. Using Children’s art work for wrapping small gifts.
4. Use scraps of wrapping paper for gift tags. Just cut a square, fold it half, punch a hole in it and put a piece of ribbon through it.
5. Try giving hand made gifts instead of store bought gifts. Sometimes a plate of cookies or a home made cake is just enough for that special neighbor or teacher.
6. As far as saving money at stores, I did this the other day. I was shopping at a Large Department Store and they had a sale going on and had hand bills at the door with coupons. One coupon was for $10 off purchase of $50.00 or more and the other was $15.00 off a purchase of 75.00 or more. I was purchasing approximately $130.00 worth of merchandise so I divided it into two purchases and used a coupon on each one, saving a total of $25.00. So be sure and check for special and coupons at the department stores and if you don‘t see any, ask the sales clerk, sometimes they will have a coupon they can give you..
7. My next tip is one that some may know about and others may not. My husband and I run an auction in our little town. My husband works very hard and is very honest so people flock to our auction, especially at Christmas time. You can save as much as 90% on many things especially Christmas decorations. We go and get pallets of overstock items and we go through every item to make sure it works and we put stuff together to make it is all there. We sold prelit 7 ft Christmas trees for as low as $13.00. We have something new every week and we also have other people who come in with great buys. We have a guy here this week with brand new craftsman tools for the men, we have another guy who comes and brings toys for the kids, all brand new still in the box. My husband also gets general merchandise that includes kitchen appliances, stereos, Ipod docking stations, etc. Most towns have auctions around if you ask around. Some are better than others and some are not as diligent about checking things out, so be careful but you can get some real bargains if you check them out. Our auction has gotten busier since the economy has gotten worse as we try to sell things that people need and would go out and buy anyway. Just another option to think about.
8. Regifting. You will have to be careful here and not give this to the person who gave it to you but we all get gifts that we really don’t use or perhaps put away and forgot about. This happened to me when I got my decorations out this year I found 2 or 3 brand new gifts that I received last year and forgot about and they got put away so now I have at least 2 things I can regift.
9. Buy all year when you see things on sale and put them away. You can really save money this way and also saves the stress of trying to find everything during the holidays when there is so much to do.
10. Buy several of the same item when you see a good sale, such as a special ornament or candles, etc. and give the same items to several people on your gift list.
11. When decorating, use nature. Bring in real pine boughs, cones and berries to dress up that mantle. Also you can use popcorn and cranberries to make garlands.
How pretty is a glass jar filled with cranberries with a candle in the middle!
12. Create a family calendar. Select family photos and get calendar kit from your office supply store. You can personalize each month with family birthdays and special events. You can even include favorite family recipes. Grown children would love this too and it is a great way to pass down those special family recipes.
13. Obviously shopping after Christmas for next year is a money saver.
14. Making your own decorations with your kids is a great way to save money. You can create tissue paper wreaths, special ornaments and other things that will be treasured through the years.
15. If you have a big extended family, draw names.
Friday, December 12, 2008
Garland does not have to be used just for the tree. Every year I dress the tops of breakfronts & cabinets with lighted greenery. To add a bit of color tuck in flowers, Christmas balls & ribbon. This year I added a strand of Pearl Beaded Garland dripping down.
In your cupboard or breakfront, add garland draped off the shelves. Add some faux or fresh sprigs & this will sure become one of your favorite Holiday additions. I have draped my Pearl Beaded Garland right over the dollies I use all year round. A little touch of the unexpected
This is one of my favorite holiday plates & I chipped the plate & mug last year. You can either break it up & use the pieces for a beautiful Holiday Mosaic Piece. Here I covered the chip in the dish with a faux sprig & hung the mug along with it, facing the other way so the chip is in the back. Still a fun and jolly addition to my kitchen this Christmas!
Monday, December 8, 2008
How do we handle stress during the holidays?
It can be a real challenge handling stress and depression during the holidays. We are all trying to do to many things in a short
period of time and we pay the price. Some of the following tools will help us have stress free holidays.
1) Organize your time. Don’t over book yourself. Be reasonable with your schedule. Give yourself a break, create time for yourself to do
things that you love to do. Plan ahead.
2) Delegate household duties such a cleaning and decorating to each family member. Make some time for yourself.
3) Make a budget before going shopping and stick to it. Make sure you stay out of debt.
4) Don’t always say yes, only say yes to what you really want to do. People will understand if you can’t do certain projects or
activities. Learn to say “No”.
5) Get plenty of sleep, exercise and good nutrition. This will make you feel better and helps you cope with stress.
6) Acknowledge your feelings. Give yourself permission to be sad. It’s OK to cry or express your feelings when needed.
7) Appreciate the simple things. Get into the holiday spirit by putting on holiday tunes or make your favorite recipe.
8) Choose resolutions that help you feel valuable and provide long term happiness.
9) Accept family members and friends as they are. Don’t try to change them. They are probably feeling the effects of holiday stress
and depression too.
10) Seek support if you feel isolated or down. You don’t have to go it alone. Don’t be a martyr.
References: Mayo Clinic
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Just in time for the
Also coming soon we will be adding custom portraits with the option for printing on cards and gift tags too. Please feel free to contact me for any questions or custom work. I am happy to help you with any ideas you may have! Have a wonderful and blessed holiday season! ~ Nichole Huotari
Saturday, November 15, 2008
All Elegant, Designer and Vintage Ornaments have been drastically reduced due to economic situations beyond our control. These ornaments took hours to make and each one is unique and elegant in their own way. Take advantage of purchasing these ornaments at a below cost price and receive them in time for the holidays. They would make a gorgeous gift for someone special in your life or for the person who has everything. They cannot be bought in stores, so take advantage of this opportunity while they last! They'll even receive a absolutely beautiful card, signed by the designer, which is a Masterpiece of Art in it's own right.
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Fresh designs made daily and a great wholesale discount , custom orders and printing are always welcome! Not registered as a wholesale customer but are a member of
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
B. Catherine Designs specializes in Romantic, Shabby Chic & French inspired accents for your Home and Garden. My items are new, not vintage, but have a nostalgic or heirloom feeling. Some whimsical, some practical, all beautiful! Accessories are the jewelry of a room, they add sparkle and personality. They should reflect your personality and tell a story, your story.
My Holiday decor is a little bit Country, a little bit shabby, we offer something for everyone! Pink & White Glitter Lighted Houses, Pink Glitter Ornaments, lots of wonderful gift items! Please stop by & visit and have a Wonderful Holiday from B. Catherine Designs!!
Thursday, October 30, 2008
Fresh from the New "Vintage Chenille Yummy Confections Bakeshop" at Mimi's Rose Chenille Boutique! These are the prettiest Chenille Confections you will lay your eyes on! Our menu features, gorgeous Cakes, Cake Slices, Wedding Cakes, Cupcakes and Teacakes! Made from high end Vintage Chenille and Ribbons, only the best ingredients will do! Distinctive feminine Vintage quality, while keeping a very realistic approach to gourmet design baking. Being soft and cushy, they are perfect in a Shabby or Cottage decor...Each baked treat is truly unique, which them a make a wonderful gift for a Real Girly Girl who loves vintage things...They can be used as pincushions, paper weights or for decorating...These can be passed down from generation to generation...Ladies, your daughters, granddaughters, friends and teachers will love them! They look yummy enough to eat! A must for "Holiday Gift Giving" at a reasonable price! Perfect for Tea Parties, bridal showers or even Wedding Favors! Stop by the "Vintage Chenille Yummy Confections Bakeshop" at Mimi's Rose Chenille Boutique.
Check out the new items added this week, plus all the Christmas Fabrics are on sale! Holiday Spirit by Henry Glass is B3G1FREE or B6G2Free! Best prices on the web for this Fun Line by Debi Hron for Henry Glass.
Christmas Goodies will added the first week of November, so remember to check back often at Mimi's Rose Chenille Boutique!
I'm dreaming of a pink Christmas...at Bella Lucille find many one of a kind, pretty in pink items that are perfect for gift giving or to treat yourself! Bella Lucille is offering 10% off all purchases, offer valid through Nov. 30, 2008. Please go to http://www.bellalucille.com/?code=PinkChristmas and the 10% savings will be automatically calculated at checkout.
Check out our Beautiful Initial Cosmetic bags ~ Buy an initial cosmetic bag set and receive a free Tyler votive candle with your purchase.Available in the following letters:
House and Garden Boutiquewww.houseandgardenboutique.com
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Saturday, October 18, 2008
My Southern Lace is having a grand opening here on shabbylanes,
I am Cherylin Collins and I just opened my store here on Shabby Lane, I have been hooked on Vintage and Antiques are far as I can remember, while everyone else was buying new things for there home, I was at estate sale and auctions. Everyone thought I was nuts, but it is in my blood, I always said "I was born in the wrong era". However the fact is I can't live with out the amenities of todays world.
I am so proud to be part of a network of women that takes great pride in all their Stores. I look forward to meeting all of you have having a ball here on Shabby Lane.
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Please join the members of Shabby Lane Shops as we try to raise money for the Susan Komen Foundation. We also want to help raise awareness of Breast Cancer. This is a very important cause. Please encourage your Mother, Sister, Wife, Aunt Grandmother & any special lady in your life to visit the Susan Komen site to learn more.
Shabby Lane Shops want to help make a difference!
Click here to make a donation.
Thursday, September 25, 2008
Come visit us a Vintage To Chic for great specials in most every category, New items listed daily. Many new vintage finds and a wide range of one of a kind designs. As always you will receive a free gift with every purchase. We appreciate your business and love to hear your comments.Judy
Mimi’s Rose Chenille Boutique is busy getting ready for the Holiday season and shows we will be attending. The first show is in Virginia Beach, VA at the Virginia Beach Convention Center, "The Virginia Beach Christmas Market". The dates for this show are November 28th, 29th and 30th.
The next show is The Bizarre Bazaar in Richmond, VA., at the Richmond Raceway Complex! The dates for this particular show are December 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th. These are shows you really won’t want to miss!
The pictures are just a sampling of the gorgeous items I had at last years' shows and on the website! I "Pink Promise" there will be many more pretties this year!!
Please visit my website: www.mimisrosechenilleboutique.com for more information on these wonderful shows, just click on the Events Calendar! While you are there, signup for my Newsletter, I will be sending out emails prior to each show with a Special Discount for each Newsletter member, you may use at either of them! It’s my way of saying “Thank You” and enabling you to do your shopping for all of your family and friends this Holiday. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me! I would love to hear from you!
Take a minute, sit back, relax and visit www.mimisrosechenilleboutique,com where you find many unique and reasonably priced items like my New Romantic Eye Candy Light Confections and beautiful boutique clothing, just to mention a few!
Thanks for stopping by and please check back often, as I will be adding new items on a weekly basis for the upcoming Holidays!
Monday, September 22, 2008
Please click here to access the order form to order a personalized music CD for your little love! Great holiday gift idea! Please feel free to print and distribute the form to your friends, family, preschools, etc. Eamon will get $10 for every CD sold using the form.
In addition, if you shop online, Eamon will earn 20% of every sale!
Thank you Lisa! We appreciate your support.
Readers, can you help us spread the word about this great gift idea?
Thanks so very much!
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Thank you for your support!
Hello new friends.
Welcome to Artistic Romantic, Original Art for the Romantic at Heart. It is very exciting for me to be able to share my works with you. Each piece is designed to coordinate beautifully with romantic, shabby chic, cottage, Victorian, and French country decorating styles. I am very pleased to offer hand painted accessories and paintings that are unique and draw attention for their detail and quality. I work in acrylics and oils. Some of my paintings are kiln-fired on china and porcelain. I also love to breathe fresh life into vintage and new decorative items. Custom orders are welcome and shipping is free for all orders totaling $99 or more. I look forward to your visit and hope to paint for you soon.
Saturday, September 6, 2008
Welcome to Shades of Wyldemor ! A Country Victorian Inspired Mercantile!...Primitives and Vintage...Antique Home Decor...Retro furnishings...
May you find a sweet reprieve, a quiet moment to reflect on images from past times. An age of elegance expressed in custom made 1800 and 1900 historical dress. Enjoy vintage and country Victorian home decor. Country living with a Shabby Romantic theme. Classic primitives and folk art that remind you of white farmhouses and huge gardens!! Vintage postcard art...Victorian Bustle Dresses, Edwardian and Dickens Era dresses... Sweet Romance Jewelry... Costumes... Elegant Bridal and Southern Belle Gowns... Gracious heirlooms and artistic reproductions. Tapestries that tell tales of long ago!! Romantic shabby home decor that speaks of impeccable style.Children items that hold a bit of whimsy and magic and begin with' Once upon a time'...sure to bring smiles and giggles, as well as dear keepsakes that hold precious memories. But most of all, may your visits to Shades of Wyldemor always be something that you look forward to!
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Anyone purchasing an 8” x 12” Etched Glass Decal, Designer or Vintage Ornament, Salt Lamp or State-Shaped Basket receives a “FREE” gift. The ornaments are hand-crafted and each ornament takes 3-5 hours to make because it is quilted. Salt Lamps are used for therapeutic reasons as well as beauty and we have some really cute “Christmas” Etched Glass Decals. They are non-adhesive. They are Static-Cling and can be applied with just some water in a spray bottle. Easy to apply, removable, reusable, and interchangeable with many of the Christmas Etched Glass Corners we carry as well! Don’ wait until its closer to the Holidays. They won’t be there!!!!!! They are a very popular itemJ Any one of these products are the perfect gift for the person who has everything or as a Collector’s item for a friend or for yourself, so you can start a collection of these very beautiful ornaments for yourself. Hang them on your tree or display them on an Ornament Stand in your home or office. You will not find these ornaments in any store. Many hours of love and hard work go into creating and designing each ornament. Each ornament is gently wrapped in colorful tissue paper and shipped in a gift box. A beautiful Designer card, signed by the Designer, comes with the Designer & Vintage Ornaments that is a Masterpiece of Art all on its own!
- ► 2015 (22)
- ► 2014 (9)
- ► 2013 (18)
- ► 2012 (77)
- ► 2011 (194)
- ► 2010 (275)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 12/07 - 12/14 (3)
- ► 11/09 - 11/16 (3)